HD7 WALKON 41-7
Price: Call for Price
HD5 FJORD 0664 58-7
HD4 Fjord 0664 16-3
HD3 Ms Radical 39-10
JD6 CATALYST 3-5
HD3 Nathan 1931 19-2
HD4 Ms Radical 7-5
Bred by: Huinker Durocs LTD. - Decorah, IA
Owned With: SGI
- The combination of rapidly increasing demand for heavier hogs by the packing industry and regression in frame size by the white maternal breeds in recent years is putting more pressure on the terminal breeds to come up with more frame size. The terminal breed or breeds and the breeders that can extend a rapid growth pattern out to 300 lbs in an animal that develops peak muscle mass at approximately the same weight will prosper in the next century. We are starting to see a few boars that fit that description and a few that even sire that way.
- When Walkon came into the show ring at the National Barrow Show, we saw him as one that could work his way to the top of the list of that unique category.
- Walkon is an excellent combination of extra frame size, muscle content, design and growth. The littermate gilt and boar were the same kind of hogs. The two boars stood 1st and 2nd in class with Walkon’s littermate named Champion and selling for $31,000.00.
- We preferred Walkon because of his more correct front-end structure. The littermate gilt stood second in her class and tied for 2nd top selling at $2300.00. The three 41 litter pigs all had actual loin eye scans of over 9.0 sq in. and all were very trim and extra expressive in their muscle makeup.
- Since the National Barrow Show, Walkon has continued to grow and develop muscle in his loin, rump and ham. The most exciting news is that he has managed to stay youthful in his rib, developed even more bone than we thought and remains very sound, hitting the ground with a solid, even toe mass.
- Walkon’s dam is a young sow but has weaned 21 of 22 pigs born with a 149 lb 21-day weight on her first two litters. With SPIs on the grandparents ranging from 111 to 120 and Nathan and Radical in the pedigree, his chances of making a maternal sire are pretty good.
- Walkon’s sire, Fjord 58-7, is a big framed, heavy muscled boar that was the Premier Sire at the National Barrow Show. He had on the farm performance of 140 Days to 230 lb, 0.24 BF and 7.01 LEA. He also has excellent EPD’s of –5.10 Days, -0.07 BF and 132.5 TSI which ranks 11th in the November 1997 Duroc Across-Herd Sire Summary. Big framed, sound, active terminal boars with muscle in their top and rump are very popular with commercial men today.
- Use Walkon to put more of those kind of boars in your commercial boar pens. It goes without saying that Walkon was also one of our most popular “Show Pig" sires during the fall breeding season.
For questions, more information or TO ORDER SEMEN, email or call us toll free at 800-247-3958.
on the farm performance
Days to 250lb (114 kg)
Breeding Value Index